Other districts closing included: Benton County Schools to begin at 10 a.m. Tuesday, Calhoun Academy, Carroll Academy, Central MS Offices and Head Start/Early Learning Centers, Columbus Air Force Base: Military, civilian and DynCorp worker report at 9 a.m. Tuesday, Holmes Community College, Kirk Academy, SunTronics LED.
The Miss. Dept. of Transportation was warning motorists to avoid areas where ice can accumulate on roadways. In general that includes high bridges.
This is from the MDOT website:
Icy precipitation has begun to accumulate on roadways and bridges in Desoto, Marshall, Benton, Tate, Panola and Lafayette counties. Highway 78 westbound between Highway 302 and the Tennessee State Line has begun to accumulate icy precipitation. MDOT personnel are monitoring the weather and will take necessary measures to keep Mississippi roadways safe. Motorists are encouraged to buckle up for safety, drive safely, stay alert and slow down, especially when driving in wintry weather conditions.
“Motorists traveling along I-55 and I-220 should take extra precaution during their evening commute,” said Central District Transportation Commissioner Dick Hall. “MDOT crews are actively monitoring the weather and accumulation on bridges and roadways and will take necessary measures to keep them operational. That being said, the de-icing material is not a permanent solution due to the run-off from traffic on the roadway. I highly advise motorists to seek alternate routes and to leave for your destination as soon as possible.”
MDOT offered the following tips for driving in ice conditions:
- Drive according to current road and weather conditions.
- Please pay close attention to the roadway and don’t text while driving.
- Keep a safe distance between you and the vehicle in front of you.
- Avoid situations where you may have to brake suddenly on a slippery surface.
- Have tires and tire pressure checked. Tire pressure decreases in colder weather.
- Give yourself extra time for travel or wait until conditions improve. Also, log on to www.mdottraffic.com for real-time traffic information.
- Tune in to your local television station for local weather reports and always keep your weather radio handy.
- Make sure you travel with at least half a tank of gas and have sufficient windshield washer fluid in the reservoir.