Some of the students ate a small amount, according to WLOX, who quoted Sheriff Mike Byrd as saying everyone was fine. Two students were checked out at Ocean Springs Hospital, but they are okay.
When school officials investigated, they found out the crystals were made from a crystal making kit bought off the internet. It was still unclear whether the little girl would be punished by the school district.
The substance, also known as alum, or potash alum, is used in food processing, according to online research. In large amounts in can be toxic. In some cases it has been used as an ingredient in laxatives. It is also one of the easiest crystals to grow.