JACKSON, Miss. – A fire stopped in its tracks in a building normally filled with children. It happened Friday morning at the South Jackson YMCA. Luckily none of the kids were inside.
“Lord have mercy,” is all 84-year-old Estella Phillips could think of when the fire happened. Phillips said she and another co-worker were locked outside of the building while breakfast was cooking when a grease fire started in the kitchen.
“She locked my keys up and locked hers up and we couldn’t get in.”
They grabbed an unknown object from across the street to the break glass next to the front door and pull the fire alarm to get in. When they made it to the kitchen Estella says they threw and entire can of flour on the stove to bury the flames. Soon after, they got a fire extinguisher to put the rest out.
Everyone made it out okay, but one of the employees did to go the hospital to get checked out for smoke inhalation.
The folks at the YMCA refer to Phillips as “Grandma,” and she has been a hero to kids at the daycare for 27 years. Today she saved the day.