SuperTalk Mississippi

Employees Evacuated after Ammonia Leak in Richland Business

RICHLAND, Miss.- Employees were evacuated from the Millard Refrigeration building in Richland after an ammonia leak was discovered there around 10:30 Monday morning.

“The leak was contained within the Millard Refrigeration building on Industrial Park Road.” Mayor Mark Scarborough said, “The ammonia was used in the company’s chillers, which were in a mechanical room in the large cold storage facility.”

The ammonia leak could have been a dangerous mixture with the weather we are having right now because anhydrous ammonia turns into an acid when mixed with water.

Hazmat teams from Rankin County, the Department of Environmental Quality and Richland fire and police departments showed up to the building after the company reported the anhydrous ammonia leak.

MDEQ spokesman Robbie Wilbur told WAPT a tank ruptured in the refrigeration unit.”We believe that most of the released ammonia is trapped inside the building. The company has hired a contractor to remove the ammonia from inside the building,” Wilbur said.

None of the employees were injured.

Stay up to date with all of Mississippi’s latest news by signing up for our free newsletter here

Copyright 2023 SuperTalk Mississippi Media. All rights reserved.

Related posts

This website uses cookies to improve your experience. We'll assume you're ok with this, but you can opt-out if you wish. Accept Read More