This week, we heard reports of a 14-year-old Chicago boy charged with sexual assault after broadcasting the assault of a young girl over Facebook Live. Then in Michigan, a mom claims her 11-year-old son killed himself after his girlfriend faked her death on social media.
It’s a reminder that parents need to talk to their kids about social media.
In this week’s Dugle Report, we talk about dos and donts of social media safety.
- Do talk to your kids face-to-face
- Don’t make social media taboo, or the “forbidden fruit”
- Don’t talk down about social media in front of your kids
- Do talk about your own social media use
- Do remind them the internet is not private, ever
- Do be transparent in monitoring them (Don’t create a fake “friend” account to cyberstalk your kids. Let them know you’re watching everything they do.)
- Do be open to hearing what they have to say and let them know you’re listening