SuperTalk Mississippi
News Sports

Ole Miss Baseball Player Receives Ferriss Trophy

JACKSON, Miss.-Mississippi outfielder Auston Bousfield beat out four other finalists to win the Ferriss Trophy Monday.

The trophy is named after Mississippi native, Red Sox coach and former player and longtime Delta State University coach, Dave “Boo” Ferris and is awarded to the state’s top college baseball player every year.

Bousfield hit .353 this season with five homers and 45 RBIs, helping the Rebels win the Southeastern Conference Western Division title. He also stole 16 bases and made only one error while starting every game in center field.

The other finalists were Ole Miss pitcher Chris Ellis, Mississippi State pitchers Ross Mitchell and Jacob Lindgren and Belhaven first baseman and pitcher Tyler Akins.

The Ferriss Trophy, which is sponsored by C-Spire, was presented during a luncheon at the Mississippi Sports Hall of Fame and Museum in Jackson at 11:30 a.m. Monday.

For the first time, fan voting counted for 10 percent of the selection process. A 24-member panel of the state’s college baseball coaches and MLB scouts, whose territory includes Mississippi comprised the remaining 90 percent of the voting.

The first trophy was awarded to Ole Miss player, Stephen Head, in 2004.

Related posts

This website uses cookies to improve your experience. We'll assume you're ok with this, but you can opt-out if you wish. Accept Read More