SuperTalk Mississippi

Accidental Fire at Commons at Eudora Welty

JACKSON, Miss. – The fire at the Commons at Eudora Welty’s Birthplace in downtown Jackson has been ruled an accident that originated in and around the chimney.

No one was hurt or inside the house when flames began to destroy the second floor .  “A staff member walked into the property, found it full of smoke, got out and quickly called 911, “explained Joe Nasser, a co-owner of the property.

The building is rented out for weddings and other occasions . Nasser said he has no bookings for the rest of the year.  But, several events had already been scheduled for 2015.  “Obviously we are going to have to go to that list and start contacting people.”

The Commons is privately owned and is not the birth home of writer Eudora Wetly.  None of her artifacts were inside.

Stay up to date with all of Mississippi’s latest news by signing up for our free newsletter here

Copyright 2024 SuperTalk Mississippi Media. All rights reserved.

Related posts

This website uses cookies to improve your experience. We'll assume you're ok with this, but you can opt-out if you wish. Accept Read More