WASHINGTON, D.C.–One advantage of being in Congress for over 40 years is the ability to have influence. That translates into some advantages for Mississippi with Thad Cochran (R) in office. Thursday his camp released a list of subcommittee assignments for this term.
That includes his chairmanship of the Defense Appropriations Subcommittee, that helps decide where the money goes in the military.
Cochran, chairman of the Senate Committee on Appropriations, will serve on six appropriations subcommittees, as well as three subcommittees for the Senate Committee on Agriculture, Nutrition and Forestry.
“I am enthusiastic about the prospect of using my committee and subcommittee assignments to represent the best interests of Mississippians and to find responsible, workable solutions to the serious challenges affecting our nation,” said Cochran.
On the Senate Committee on Appropriations, Cochran will continue to serve on the following subcommittee panels:
- Department of Defense (Chairman)
- Agriculture, Rural Development, Food and Drug Administration, and Related Agencies
- Energy and Water Development
- Department of Homeland Security
- Department of the Interior, Environment, and Related Agencies
- Departments of Labor, Health and Human Services, and Education, and Related Agencies
- As committee chairman, Cochran will also serve as an ex officio member of the remaining six appropriations subcommittees.
On the Senate Agriculture Committee that Cochran chaired in the last Congress, the Senator will serve on the following subcommittees:
- Commodities, Risk Management and Trade
- Rural Development and Energy
- Conservation, Forestry and Natural Resources
Cochran also continues to serve on the Senate Committee on Rules and Administration.