Entergy customers have become the latest target of a phone scam in Mississippi.
According to a news release from the company, scammers will call a customer using a “spoofing technology” to make it appear that the call is coming from Entergy. The caller will then attempt to fool the customer by telling them that their bill payment is past due and that their service will be disconnected if payment isn’t made. As the next step in the scam, the caller then asks the customer to transfer funds electronically, sometimes through “MoneyPak,” “Green Dot” or another third party card or transfer system.
If you believe you are a victim of this scam, you should notify the proper authorities, such as the local police or the state attorney general’s office. If you believe your Entergy account has been affected, call 1-800-ENTERGY (1 800 368 3749) to speak with an Entergy customer service representative.
Entergy included tips on how to avoid the scam and outlined ways to pay electric bills, which do not include “MoneyPak” or “Green Dot” cards.
- Never give your personal information to strangers. If a call sounds suspicious, hang up and call 1-800-ENTERGY (1-800-368-3749) to speak with an Entergy customer service representative. Do not call back the number that appears on your Caller ID.
- While you can pay your Entergy bill by phone or credit card, it is only through BillMatrix, a third-party vendor Entergy uses for this purpose, and you would have to initiate the call.
- To manage your Entergy account 24/7 and review account alert options to stay better informed, download the free Entergy smartphone app or visit entergy.com to register for myAccount online.
- Only use authorized methods and legitimate banking information to pay your Entergy bill. Entergy offers several convenient ways:
- Pay online – For no additional charge, you may securely log in to myAccount at entergy.com to conveniently pay your bill online.
- Pay by phone – You may pay your bill by credit card, debit card or electronic check by calling Entergy’s pay-by-phone provider,BillMatrix, at 1-800-584-1241. BillMatrix charges a $2.95 service fee.
- Walk-in payment centers – Want to pay in person? You may pay your bill by cash, check or money order at an authorized Quick Payment Center in your community. A convenience fee may apply.
- Bank draft – You can avoid late fees by having your Entergy payment automatically deducted from your checking account each month. Entergy will send you a monthly billing statement for your records, showing the bill amount and bank draft date.
- Pay by mail – You can send a check by U.S. Mail to the remittance address shown on your bill.