SuperTalk Mississippi

Did flood waters leave mold in your home?

JACKSON, Miss.- Are you coughing, sneezing, wheezing, or experiencing boughs of asthma? You might have mold in your home. 

If your home took on water during the recent flooding across the state, mold could have been left over. Look for a musty, earthy odor and fuzzy looking growth. It can be on any hard surface, furniture, or carpeting.

The Mississippi State Department of Health suggests a two step cleaning process for mold. First start off by cleaning all surfaces you have that are metal, glass, wood, plastic or nonporous material. Use a non-ammonia detergent and hot water to get those clean. After that disinfect surfaces with a 10-percent household bleach solution (one-and-a-half cup of bleach per each gallon of water).

You’ll want to air dry these surfaces by opening any doors or windows and turning on ceiling fans to vent.

Make sure not to mix bleach with ammonia or any other cleaners and always wear gloves, goggles, and a mask while doing this cleaning.

If you have an area of mold that is larger than 30 square feet please call a professional to remove it.

Stay up to date with all of Mississippi’s latest news by signing up for our free newsletter here

Copyright 2024 SuperTalk Mississippi Media. All rights reserved.

Related posts

This website uses cookies to improve your experience. We'll assume you're ok with this, but you can opt-out if you wish. Accept Read More