Jackson, Miss– The tornadoes Wednesday, just two days before Christmas, left families in mourning and picking up the pieces. (photo from WREG)
Six people are dead, including a seven year old from Holly Springs. Three more people are confirmed dead from Ashland, in Benton County.
Aside from Holly Springs, where massive damage is left behind, more damage is reported in Quitman County, Benton County, and Coahoma County, reports WREG.
MEMA’s initial report details damage all across North Mississippi. These numbers are expected to adjust as new information comes available.
- Cars damaged along Miss. Highway 5 near the town of Ashland.
- Miss. Highway 5 is closed.
- Damage to homes and the airport near the city of Clarksdale.
- At least one injury.
- Homes damaged and powerlines down near Miss. Highway 4 and Miss. Highway 7 near the city of Holly Springs.
- Miss. Highway 7 is closed.
- Search and rescue is being performed.
- Homes damaged near the town of Sardis.
- At least two injuries.
- Miss Highway 315 between Sledge and Sardis is blocked while crews remove storm debris.
- Damage to homes.
- Damage to areas near the Brownsville community.
MEMA has personnel assisting emergency managers in those counties.
If possible, avoid these areas so that emergency managers and first responders can get through safely.