Finalist teams are:
- Team Allen Engineering and Science – Jackson, MS
- Team GSRC/Compton – Baton Rouge, LA
- Team MMMM – Biloxi, MS
- Team SALT (In stream) – Bay Saint Louis, MS
- Team SALT (On beach) – Bay Saint Louis, MS
- Team Sustainable Outfall Solutions – Biloxi, MS
Approximately 200 beach outfalls can be found every few hundred yards along Mississippi’s beaches and provide an important stormwater function to the communities along the coast. However, these beach outfalls currently act only as conduits, transporting stormwater from communities on the coast to the Mississippi Sound with very little treatment of the water or ecosystem service delivery functions, which impacts the water quality in the Mississippi Sound. Quantities of nutrients (i.e., nitrogen and phosphorus) and pollutants are found in significantly higher concentrations in the water near the end of the beach outfalls.