The Mississippi Department of Transportation is preparing for flooding as a result of high water levels in the Mississippi River and surrounding tributaries.
The areas that are expected to be effected the most are Issaquena, Warren, Wilkinson, and Yazoo Counties. Flooding is a top weather killer so MDOT and other officials have a few reminders for you as the waters rise.
- Avoid areas that are already flooded.
- Never drive through a flooded area, a car can be swept away and taken downstream. Always TURN AROUND.
- If you’re driving be cautious, especially at night when it is harder to see flood conditions.
- Never drive through a barricade.
- If your vehicle stalls near flood water, abandon it and seek higher ground. The water can easily engulf the vehicle and occupants.
The areas preparing to be closed are:
Warren County: SR 465 in Warren County. The closure will be made as needed in early January.
Yazoo County: US 149/SR 16 in Yazoo county from Whittington West Levee Road to the boat ramp entrance at Wolfe Lake. The closure will be made as needed in early January.
MDOT is continuing to monitor the potential for flooding.