HATTIESBURG, Miss. – (February 8, 2016) Forrest General Hospital recently received numerous quality awards including ranking in the top 10 percent of hospitals nationwide for Patient Safety in Overall Medical Care. The awards and rankings were presented by CareChex®, a division of Comparion®, an independent company recognizing the nation’s best performers on various measures of quality relating to process of care, outcomes, and patient satisfaction.
According to CareChex®, the hospital received Top 100 in Nation and Number 1 in the State awards for the following service areas for Patient Safety:
- Major Cardiac Surgery
- Coronary Bypass Surgery
- Hip Fracture Repair
- Stroke Care
- Pulmonary Care
Additionally, the hospital received Top 100 in Nation and Number 1 in the State for Medical Excellence in Spinal Fusion. Forrest General’s Women’s Health services rank high nationally, as well, being in the top 10 percent in the nation for Medical Excellence and Patient Safety. Additional awards include:
- Heart Attack Treatment— Top 10 percent in Nation, Patient Safety
- Interventional Coronary Care— Top 10 percent in Nation, Patient Safety
- Trauma Care— Top 10 percent in Nation, Patient Safety
- Neurological Care—Top 10 percent in Nation, Patient Safety
- Pneumonia Care—Top 100 in the Nation, Patient Safety
- Spinal Fusion—Top 100 in the Nation, Patient Safety
- Pulmonary Care—Top 10 percent in the Nation, Medical Excellence
- Stroke Care— Top 10 percent in the Nation, Medical Excellence
- Spinal Surgery—Number 1 in the State, Medical Excellence
Dr. Thane Forthman, president and CEO of CareChex®, stated, “The environment Forrest General provides, systemically, gives the patients they treat and manage among the highest chances for successful outcomes in the United States. Forrest General is a true benchmark facility that others should try to emulate.”
“Forrest General is committed to attaining high standards of quality care. Independent quality evaluations conducted by CareChex®, demonstrate we are achieving our goal,” commented Evan Dillard, president and CEO of Forrest Health. “Providing excellent care is only possible with our outstanding physicians, employees, and volunteers. We are extremely grateful for their ability to care for patients in such an exceptional manner resulting in the best possible outcomes for our patients.”
Utilizing extensive clinical data from the Hospital Quality Alliance and the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services, CareChex® provides a comprehensive evaluation of all components of medical quality including:
- Process of care – measures specific processes that should be followed during heart attack and heart failure, pneumonia, outpatient procedures, surgical care and preventive care, among others.
- Outcomes of care – measures mortality and complication rates, inpatient quality indicators and patient safety indicators
- Patient satisfaction – measures overall hospital ratings, doctor and nurse communication, hospital environment, and staff responsiveness, among others.
CareChex® provides these findings to consumers, providers and purchasers of U.S. medical care, including many Fortune 500 companies.
“We believe CareChex® provides the most statistically accurate rating of hospital quality available in the industry,” said Steven Farrell, M.D., Forrest General’s chief medical officer. “Other quality rating services only evaluate one aspect of patient care, such as mortality rates. CareChex’s multi-dimensional methodology looks at all three components of medical quality – process of care, outcomes of care, and patient satisfaction.”