SMITH COUNTY, Miss.–A crash with a pick-up and a stalled transport truck in Smith County Wednesday caused Mississippi’s only death due to icy road conditions. The pickup and the 18-wheeler hit on Hwy. 18.
Heather McDaniel, who was the passenger in the pickup, was ID’d by the Highway Patrol as the person killed. The driver of the pickup and a baby were taken to the hospital.
Warren Strain, spokesman for the Highway Patrol, said the pickup hit the back of the transport truck.
Hwy. 18 was back open, but MDOT was stressing extreme caution when traveling in south Mississippi.
As of Wednesday night, the following roads and interstates were still closed:
- Highway 84/61 (Natchez) Flyover Bridge in Adams County
- I-59 northbound near the Lauderdale County line in Clarke County
- Bridge to Copiah-Lincoln Community College in Copiah County
- US 90 Bay St. Louis Bridge in Hancock County
- I-110 South bound closed at Division Street in Harrison County
- US 90 ramp to I-110 N in Harrison County
- Popp’s Ferry Bridge in Harrison County
- SR 605 at the Wilkes Draw Bridge in Harrison County
- The Bayou Portage Bridge in Harrison County
- The David Larosa Bridge in Harrison County
- The Highway 90 Biloxi-Ocean Springs Bridge in Harrison and Jackson Counties.
- Fort Bayou Draw Bridge on SR 609 in Jackson County
- Highway 15 S at the intersection of Highway 504 in Newton County
- Highway 18 a half mile east of the Rankin County and Smith County line in Smith County
- Highway 35 from Highway 18 to Highway 481 in Smith County
- Highway 33 from Crosby to Perrytown Road and Homochitto Road in Amite County