Southern Pine Electric is prepared for the possibility of severe storms heading through Mississippi on Saturday. Dispatchers will be on duty around the clock and their crews will be on standby to respond to any outages that may occur.
Power outages during storms are most often caused by trees or limbs falling onto power lines. Southern Pine dispatches work crews immediately when power outages are reported to the cooperative.
If you are around Taylorsville and experience a power outage or see damage to a power line or substation, please call Southern Pine at 1-800-231-5240.
These storms will also usher in colder weather Saturday night through early next week. Temperatures at night will be below freezing and could cause higher electricity use.
Here are some tips:
- Install a programmable thermostat that gives you better control of the heating system throughout the day.
- If your fireplace is not being used, be sure the damper is closed.
- Change your air filter regularly. A clogged air filter forces the heating/cooling system to work harder and use more electricity.
- Caulk or weather strip around doors and windows. The goal is to keep cold air out and warm air in.
- Add insulation to your home. Southern Pine recommends R-38 or better for attic insulation.
- Drapes and blinds should be closed at night. In the daytime, open drapes and blinds that get direct sunlight.
- Try to keep the thermostat at 68 degrees or lower in the winter.