JACKSON, Miss.- Are you considering giving blood but don’t know if you can?
The Mississippi Blood Services is more than happy to have your help, but there are a few conditions:
YOU ARE A POTENTIAL CANDIDATE TO DONATE BLOOD IF YOU…
• Are 16 years of age or older, weigh at least 110 pounds and are in good health.
YOU WON’T BE ABLE TO DONATE IF YOU…
• Have donated whole blood in the last 8 weeks
• Have had mononucleosis or major surgery in the last 6 months or minor surgery in the last 2 months
• Have been pregnant in the last 6 weeks
• Have had tattoos in the last 7 days or body piercing at a licensed facility in the last 6 months.
• Have had malaria in the past 3 years
• Have had heart disease or heart surgery
• Have had dental work in 3 days or teeth cleaned in 24 hours
• Are currently on antibiotics or currently experiencing allergic symptoms
• Have HIV/AIDS or are in a high-risk group for AIDS
• Have Hepatitis or test positive for Hepatitis after the age of 11
• Have Liver Disease or Lung Disease
• Have had Cancer in the last year
• Have abnormal bleeding tendencies including Hemophilia
• Have engaged in intravenous drug use
• Have leukemia, lymphomas or any blood diseases
• Have sickle cell anemia
For other information on becoming a donor you can visit their website at www.msblood.com.