SuperTalk Mississippi
News Politics

Gunn appoints two to Gulf Coast Restoration Fund

Photo courtesy of TeleSouth Communications Inc.

Speaker of the House Philip Gunn has announced his appointments of Greg Cronin and Jim Simpson to the Gulf Coast Restoration Fund. The trust fund was established to help determine the allocation of monies collected from the Deep Water Horizon settlement.

RELATED: Governor signs BP money bill into law

Greg Cronin of Pascagoula is president and CEO of Charter Bank.

“I have known Greg since he served as the chairman of the Business and Industry Political Education Committee (BIPEC),” said Gunn. “In that capacity, he demonstrated excellent leadership. He is a man of great vision, competence, and intellect. His love for the Coast and passion to see it prosper give me every confidence he will be a tremendous asset to the advisory committee.”

Jim Simpson is a Long Beach attorney and a former member of the Mississippi House of Representatives.

“Jim is a dear friend and has been very instrumental in shaping my life in public service,” Gunn said. “He was instrumental in leading the Republicans in the Mississippi House to form a caucus in 2006 and served as the first Chairman of that caucus. This was the first step toward giving the Republicans their first majority in the House in 136 years. He has been a long-time public servant to the Gulf Coast and to the State of Mississippi. I know he will serve well on this advisory board.”

The law was passed during the 2018 special legislative session and will allocate 75% of the $700 million from the BP oil spill settlement to the coast while the remaining 25% will be distributed across the state.

Stay up to date with all of Mississippi’s latest news by signing up for our free newsletter here

Copyright 2023 SuperTalk Mississippi Media. All rights reserved.

Related posts

This website uses cookies to improve your experience. We'll assume you're ok with this, but you can opt-out if you wish. Accept Read More