RIDGELAND, Miss. – The third annual Run Up for Downs race will be this Saturday, March 21 at Ole Trace Park in Ridgeland.
The walk and run raises awareness about Down Syndrome. In addition to a one mile walk, it includes a symbolic 3.21 mile run or walk to represent 3 copies of the 21st chromosome that defines Down syndrome. And for the first time ever in Mississippi, a 0.0 race. “Zero-point-zero, is basically you sign up like everyone else does, you get a t-shirt , a bib and you line up just like everyone else. When the start gun goes off, you start and you finish,” explained event organizer Brent Lape. “So it gives you a way you still participate in the event and support it without having to injury yourself.”
Proceeds from the event will benefit the Little Light House and the Central Mississippi Down Syndrome.
Race-Day Schedule: (tentative)
• 2 p.m. – 5 p.m. – Registration / Packet Pick-Up Opens (Self Advocates with Down Syndrome will be available to autograph
running shirts if participants do not have anyone to run for).
• 2:30 p.m. – Silent Auction Opens for viewing
• 5:00 p.m. – Registration/Packet Pick-Up Closes
• 5:15 p.m. – Kids Fun Run
• 5:30 p.m. – 3.21 Run-Walk
• 5:40 p.m. – 0.0 Race
• 6:30 p.m. – Awards (all awards custom painted by the kids at the Little Light House)
• 7:15 p.m. – Silent Auction winners announced
• 8:30 p.m. – Race festivities end
In addition to race-day packet pickup, participants can also get them Friday, March 20 from 10:30 a.m. – 6:00 p.m. at StinkyFeet Athletics. Race registration can be done online until Thursday evening, March 19 and in person on Friday, March 20 and Saturday, March 21.
As an extra, participants will have the unique opportunity to have their race shirt autographed by local kids and adults with Down syndrome.
To register, visit http://runnningforlily.com/3-
Stay up to date with all of Mississippi’s latest news by signing up for our free newsletter here.
Copyright 2023 SuperTalk Mississippi Media. All rights reserved.