SuperTalk Mississippi

Hog traps to be permitted in certain counties

Photo by MSU Extension Service/Steven Tucker

Sportsmen and landowners from Claiborne, Hinds, Issaquena, Sharkey, Warren, and Yazoo County, who wish to trap wild hogs on their property, must now have a permit from the Mississippi Department of Wildlife, Fisheries, and Parks.

These permits will allow you to place bait or attractant within the confines of the hog trap. Bait or attractant placed around the outside of the hog traps, used to lure hogs within the confines of the actual trap are prohibited.

Mississippi counties that are not within the Chronic Wasting Disease (CWD) management zone can continue to trap and take wild hogs as permitted under the Nuisance Animal regulation.

Contact the MDWFP Jackson office at 601-432-2400 or 601-432-2176 if you are interested in obtaining a hog trapping permit.

“Our agency faces new challenges with a confirmed CWD case. We must both decrease activity which increases potential of disease spreading, while at the same time affording private landowners within the CWD management zone, the opportunity to protect their properties and investments from the ongoing damage that occur from wild hog damage,” Lt Colonel Chris Harris said.

Related posts

This website uses cookies to improve your experience. We'll assume you're ok with this, but you can opt-out if you wish. Accept Read More