JACKSON, Miss.- It’s summertime and it is hot outside so of course you want to make sure your home is cool, but that can be pretty costly.
But it doesn’t have to be, Entergy encourages customers to use these seven tips to save money while staying cool:
- Set your thermostat to 78 degrees or the highest comfortable temperature. Each degree cooler than 78 will increase your bill as much as 3 percent.
- Circulate the cool air in your home with ceiling, oscillating or box fans. The average ceiling fan makes a room feel seven degrees cooler.
- Use kitchen and bathroom exhaust fans to remove excess heat and humidity caused by cooking, laundering and bathing. High humidity makes our bodies hold more heat.
- Avoid using the stove if possible and consider grilling outside instead.
- Use dishwashers, washing machines and dryers – which add heat and moisture to your home – during the coolest part of the day.
- Don’t block air vents with curtains, shades or furniture.
- Turn off unnecessary lights during hot weather and consider switching to cooler, energy-efficient fluorescent bulbs where light is needed.
By following these few tips, you could see a big difference in your next bill. News Mississippi also hit the streets to ask what you do to stay cool and here’s a few responses we got:
You can also check out some additional “Save Me Money” videos at entergysavings.com. The interactive, do-it-yourself tutorials teach you how to install thermostats, caulking windows and doors, changing air filters and installing insulation to name a few.