The holiday season is always filled with travel and fun, but the Jackson Police Department warns that thieves don’t take a break during this time of year. With that in mind, the JPD has released a few tips for keeping your family and your belongings safe.The following are a few suggestions to guard your home against theft:
- Avoid placing large gift item packaging such as television and computer boxes out on the
curb for trash. If possible, try to break down these items and place them into trash bags.
- When leaving home for long periods, notify a nearby friend or neighbor so that they may
help keep watch over your home and property.
- If equipped with residential alarms, remember to activate the system before leaving. If you have surveillance cameras, periodically check them to ensure proper functionality.
- Avoid leaving curtains and blinds open that may provide easy visual access to the contents of your home while you are away.
- Illuminating certain areas of the home when you are away as well as the outside perimeter helps give the appearance that the home is occupied.
- Avoid posting onto social media sites that you will be away for extended periods or out of town during the holidays.
- Document all serial numbers or other identifying information for all valuables, electronics and firearms in case of theft.
The JPD says that while thieves may be out this holiday season, so will they.
“Unfortunately, thieves do not take holidays off and neither does the Jackson Police Department. We want this to be a great season for everyone and as always, officers will be out patrolling neighborhoods during the holidays. By following these simple tips, you help to reduce the chances of your home being targeted for theft.”