Several post offices across the state of Mississippi will be extending their hours on Tuesday to allow for tax filers to take the last minute opportunity to mail out their documentation.
The following offices will be extending their hours:
|POST OFFICE/STATION||APRIL 18 CLOSING TIME||ADDRESS|
|COLUMBUS PO||5:30 P.M.||3202 Bluecutt Rd.|
|FLOWOOD PO||6:00 P.M.||105 Hogg Creek Dr.|
|HATTIESBURG PO||6:00 P.M.||220 S. 40th Ave.|
|JACKSON MPO*||7:00 P.M.*||401 E. South St.*|
|MADISON||5:30 P.M.||990 Hwy. 51|
|RIDGELAND||5:30 P.M.||611 S. Pear Orchard Rd.|
|SOUTHAVEN||5:30 P.M.||7550 Airways Blvd.|
|STARKVILLE||5:30 P.M.||822 Taylor St.|
|TUPELO||6:00 P.M.||362 S. Thomas St.|
|VICKSBURG||5:30 P.M.||3415 Pemberton Square Blvd.|
Collection boxes in front of the buildings will be picked up until midnight.
The U.S. Postal Service recommends the following tips for tax day:
- If filing on April 18, mail early in the day at any Post Office. Be sure to verify Post Office hours of operation.
- If depositing returns in a collection box on April 18, double-check the pick-up schedule on the collection box.
- To ensure getting the April 18 postmark, deposit returns before the last scheduled pick-up time.
- Affix the correct postage. Some returns include many forms and require additional postage. IRS does not pay postage due and will return items to sender.
- One ounce for letter size returns is 49 cents for stamp postage, 46 cents for metered postage. The second and third ounces are an additional 21 cents for each ounce, regardless of postage type. Large envelopes or letters weighing over 3.5 ounces are subject to an oversize rate of 98 cents for one ounce and 21 cents per additional ounce.
- When possible, use the envelope provided by the IRS and be sure to include a return address. If the envelope provided by the IRS is unavailable, be sure to verify the IRS address where returns should be mailed.