JACKSON, MISS– If the storms through the evening weren’t enough for you, then prepare for round two of intense storms this afternoon.
Flash Flood Warnings:
Severe Thunderstorm Warnings:
- Jefferson Davis, Simpson, Lawrence Counties until 3:45 p.m.
- Covington County until 4:30
- Attala, Warren, Smith, Scott, Newton Counties until 5:00
- Pontotoc County Schools will let kids go home at 1:00 p.m. today.
- Lamar County Schools will release two hours early.
Damage was reported in the Pine Belt at the Purvis Upper Elementary School. The principal says all students are safe but that a tree was down blocking the front entrance and shingles were taken off the roof by severe winds.
The greatest risk of severe weather falls after lunch today. West Mississippi, along the river, you could see major storms kicking up after lunch, and staying around for the bulk of the afternoon.
For the central strip of the Magnolia state, the most severe weather will range between 2pm and 7pm this evening.
The eastern portion of Mississippi will get the heaviest storms between 3pm and 9pm tonight.
The northern half of the state faces the highest threat of heavy wind, rain, and strong tornadoes.
News Mississippi will continue to keep you updated as this storm front progresses. Follow along on Twitter @News_MS.