SuperTalk Mississippi

Shrimp flavor bringing competitive edge

BILOXI, Miss- Experts said better flavor gives Mississippi wild-caught shrimp a competitive edge over imported and pond raised shrimp.

Dave Burrage, a Mississippi State University Extension Service Fisheries specialist, said Thursday that people prefer the taste of wild-caught Gulf shrimp to any other type of shrimp.

Imported shrimp makes up 90 percent of the total shrimp supply in the United States while wild-caught makes up the other 10 percent.

Shrimp is the number one seafood seller in the United States so selling the shrimp is no issue, but retired shrimper Earl Ross said until people recognize the value and the flavor difference the wild-caught shrimp will continue to hold only a small part of the market.

Related posts

This website uses cookies to improve your experience. We'll assume you're ok with this, but you can opt-out if you wish. Accept Read More