JACKSON, Miss. – There is now a one stop shop for heart care services at University of Mississippi Medical Center. Thursday was the grand opening of University Heart, a new diagnostic treatment facility located right next to the University Hospital at their campus in Jackson.
“It gives us a facility that is second to none. It provides capabilities that are equal to the very best cardiovascular programs anywhere in the country we can do anything in this facility that we can do anywhere else,” said Dr. Michael Winniford, Professor of Medicine Director and Cardiovascular Division Medical Director at University Heart.
The $15 million facility includes rooms for outpatient or overnight-stay cardiovascular procedures that formerly took place at the adult hospital. It’s strategically located steps away from inpatient heart care and the Emergency Department. It also compliments Mississippi’s sole heart transplant facility and sole adult congenital heart program.
“Mississippi has an especially high burden of heart and vascular disease. We have the highest death rate of cardiovascular disease in the country. We really need a state of the art facility to take care of patients in Mississippi, especially those who have unusually complicated or difficult problems that can only be managed here at the university. This new facility gives us that capability of managing the most complicated patients.”
Varies types of cardiovascular diagnostic and treatment are housed at the center, including stress testing, heart imaging, echocardiogram, cardiac catheterization, stent treatment, and coronary and peripheral angioplasty.
Services and amenities of University Heart include:
- Non-invasive procedures such as electrocardiograms, cardiac sonography, stress cardiac sonography, exercise and pharmacological stress tests, and cardioversions
- Diagnostic and interventional cardiovascular procedures such as coronary and peripheral diagnostic services, coronary and peripheral interventions, electrophysiology diagnostic studies and interventions, and implantation of pacemakers and defibrillators
- Nine pre-procedure holding bays
- 17 post-procedure private rooms
- Two electrophysiology laboratories
- Three cardiovascular catheterization laboratories
- Close proximity to inpatient cardiac-care floors
- Seamless treatment for patients coming through UMMC’s Emergency Department
- Training, meeting, classroom, and conference facilities
- Drop-off and valet parking