Independence Day is a great holiday for Americans to celebrate with their family and friends, and for many, this includes their furry, little friends as well.
While you may think this is a good idea, some festivities can actually be quite hazardous for pets. The ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center offers the following tips:
- Never leave alcoholic drinks unattended–especially in an area where pets can reach them.
- Do not apply sunscreen or insect repellent to your pet unless the label specifies that it is produced solely for pets.
- Always keep lighter fluid and matches out of your pets’ reach.
- Keep your pets on their normal diet. To the surprise of many people, this means do NOT feed your pets scraps off of the grill.
- Keep all glow sticks/jewelry out of your pets’ reach.
- Keep citronella candles, tiki torches, and insect coils away from pets.
- NEVER light fireworks around pets.
- Finally, always remember that loud, crowded firework displays may be enjoyable for humans, but they are not fun for your pets.
Have a fun and safe 4th of July, from your friends here at News Mississippi!