SuperTalk Mississippi
News

Space Heater Safety, Temps Dipping This Weekend

JACKSON, Miss.–As temperatures start to dip into the 30’s with more regularity, the space heaters in many houses start to get plugged into the walls.

The Mississippi Fire Marshal’s office is urging all Mississippians to be careful and take proper precautions when using a space heater.

“If its a heater you already have and are using again you need to check the power cord for any damage,” said spokesman Donna Cromeans. “If it has any damage at all you need to replace it.”

She also says that if you’re in the market for a new space heater, make sure it has a “turn off switch” which will shut the unit down if it topples over for some reason.

“Make sure you have a three-foot zone around the heater at all times,” said Cromeans.

There were handfuls of space heater fires last year because people left bedding, drapes, clothes, or anything else that can catch fire too close to the heaters.

Cromeans also says to never leave the unit running while you’re asleep or while no one is at home.

“The most important thing out of all of this is to make sure people have a working fire alarm,” she said. “That can cut your risk of dying in a house fire by around fifty-percent.”

Stay up to date with all of Mississippi’s latest news by signing up for our free newsletter here

Copyright 2023 SuperTalk Mississippi Media. All rights reserved.

Related posts

This website uses cookies to improve your experience. We'll assume you're ok with this, but you can opt-out if you wish. Accept Read More