Agriculture officials in the state have recovered multiple expensive items that were stolen in west Mississippi.
The Mississippi Agriculture and Livestock Theft Bureau (MALTB) obtained two farm trucks, various tools, and an equipment trailer — totaling an estimated value of $66,400 — in Sharkey County last week.
On December 16, 2023, the Sunflower County Sheriff’s Office took an initial report of the items that were taken illegally. MALTB was notified on January 9 that the tools of a local farmer had been stolen and that some of the farmer’s equipment had been damaged.
Evidence and information provided to investigators suggested that one of the stolen trucks from Sunflower County, a 2018 Ford F-250, was used in the Sharkey County theft.
Further investigation by MALTB led to the identification of several suspects and the recovery of the stolen trucks and trailer. Arrests in this case are forthcoming, according to law enforcement.
To prevent the theft of agricultural equipment and livestock, the MALTB recommends:
- Never leave keys inside equipment or machinery
- Park equipment so that it is not visible from the road
- Take pictures and record the serial numbers of all equipment
- Register livestock brand with the MALTB and branding livestock
- Keep gates locked
- Install cameras around your property