Ag Commissioner Andy Gipson is encouraging residents to take advantage of local farmers markets across the state.
During a Thursday press conference, Gipson listed seven ways Mississippians can find local products.
- Search for local farmers markets near you at msfarmersmarket.com
- Find a local u-pick agritourism farm near you at msagritourism.org
- Farmers can register for free, and consumers can buy locally from farmers at msfarmmarketplace.com
- Subscribe to the in-print and online bimonthly Mississippi Market Bulletin at msmarketbulletin.org
- Shop the best of everything Grown, Raised, Crafted, and Made at genuinems.com
- Buy livestock on the hoof, and custom process or buy retail from any one of our several USDA processors
- Join a Community Supported Agriculture (CSA) farm location by purchasing an interest in farm produce and products, egg shares and hesrd shares
In addition, the commissioner acknowledged the difficulties faced by farmers due to inflation and transportation costs.
“Less than two percent of the American population are farmers. That means that less than two percent of our nation is responsible for providing food, fiber, and shelter to the remaining 98 percent,” Gipson said. “That’s a tall order, and we should do all we can to support our farmers. Even with record-high gas prices, the fertilizer shortage and inflation, our Mississippi farmers and ranchers have not quit. They continue to provide in order to sustain our livelihoods during these difficult times.”