Radar image courtesy of NWS
Elsa has officially become 2021’s first hurricane.
While Mississippi isn’t currently projected to feel its impact, Elsa has now strengthened to become a Category 1 hurricane with 75 mph winds, and with it heading toward the Gulf, officials say that there is still plenty of uncertainty regarding its path.
#Elsa has strengthened into a Category 1 hurricane with sustained winds of 75 mph making it the first hurricane of the season! It will impact the Caribbean this weekend, but there is still uncertainty in the storm’s exact path and strength when it enters the Gulf early next week. pic.twitter.com/yjzHAjLPDs
— msema (@MSEMA) July 2, 2021
As it stands, Hurricane Elsa is expected to arrive near Florida in the early part of next week after making its way across the Caribbean.
The formation of Hurricane Elsa should serve as a reminder that we are in hurricane season, and you should make sure you have your evacuation plan and disaster kits ready in case of an emergency.The Mississippi Emergency Management Agency suggests the following items to be included in your kit:
- Flashlight(s) with extra batteries.
- Portable radio with extra batteries.
- NOAA Weather Radio.
- Non-perishable food for at least 3 days.
- Bottled water (1 gallon per person per day).
- First Aid Kit with prescription medications.
- Bedding and clothing for each family member.
- Blankets and towels.
- Plastic dishes/eating utensils.
- Rain Jackets/pants.
- Sun screen/sunglasses/mosquito repellent.
- Baby supplies (food, diapers, medication).
- Pet supplies (food, leash & carrier, vaccination records).
- Sanitary supplies.
- Toothbrush, toothpaste, soap, shampoo, cleanser, bleach, towelettes, toilet paper, trash bags, feminine hygiene products.
- Copies of important documents.
- Driver license, SS card, proof of residence, insurance policies, wills, deeds, birth and marriage certificates, tax records, medical records, family pictures, etc.
- Cash, enough to fill up your vehicle with gas and travelers checks.
- Emergency generator.
- Bicycle helmet.