Photo Courtesy of Gov. Reeves office
Last week, Governor Tate Reeves announced his decision to keep Mississippi schools closed for the remainder of the academic year. On Wednesday, he signed an executive order aimed at ensuring that districts across the state are prepared to address the disruption caused by the COVID-19 pandemic.
“One month ago, I said that closing our schools was the hardest decision I’ve ever had to make in my 17 years of serving the public. That still holds true today. Our teachers, students, school staff, and parents have risen to the challenge in the past few weeks in the most inspiring ways. You have my utmost respect and admiration for how you have adapted during this difficult time. I know that Mississippi will continue to do whatever it takes to ensure our students’ education and bright futures,” said Governor Tate Reeves.
Providing educators flexibility in teaching and testing requirements, the order recognizes the need to address the disruptions in students’ education caused by the closure of schools due to COVID-19 and prepare for the upcoming school year. Looking towards the upcoming academic year, the order instructs each school district to submit their plans for measures needed to address the disruption this spring and prepare for the 2020-2021 academic school year. The school districts must submit their plans for approval to the Mississippi State Board of Education by June 1, 2020.
Each school district will continue to operate with their essential faculty and staff, either working from home or at their school facility following CDC health guidelines, to ensure all essential education functions are performed and students’ learning is not interrupted.
You can view Executive Order No. 1476 here.