Colonel Gregory S. Michel, Executive Director of the Mississippi Emergency Management Agency (MEMA), joined the JT Show to talk about the beginning of hurricane season and the importance of putting together a disaster preparedness plan and a storm kit.
Here are some tips that can prepare you for a tropical storm/hurricane:
- Have a storm kit ready to go. Make sure to include a flashlight, extra batteries, and a radio. Other things to include are toiletries, first aid kit, water, and non-perishable food and medications.
- Keep freezer and refrigerator doors closed during the time you’re without electric service. This will help preserve food.
- Fill bathtubs with extra water.
- Plan an evacuation route if necessary. Contact local authorities for information about evacuation routes and shelters.
- Unplug appliances and electronic equipment.
- Bring outdoor furniture inside.
- Don’t forget about your pets and have a plan for them
READ MORE from News Mississippi: National Guard, MEMA working on earthquake preparedness