Labor Day is here which means an extra day off work for most people.
No matter what you have planned for Labor Day 2022, be sure to follow these safety tips in order to ensure a safe day ahead.
Safety While Driving
- Carry an emergency supply kit in your vehicle.
- Let someone know your destination, your route, and when you expect to arrive.
- Know your route and check weather conditions beforehand and throughout the day.
- Buckle up and observe speed limits.
- Avoid driving distractions such as eating, cell phone conversations and texting.
Safety While Swimming & Boating
- Check weather and water conditions beforehand and throughout the day. Water temperatures can be deceiving and unexpectedly cold.
- Always swim with a friend and stay in designated swimming areas which are supervised by a lifeguard.
- Provide constant supervision to children in or near the water and always stay within arm’s reach of young children and inexperienced swimmers while they are in the water.
- Wear a U.S. Coast Guard-approved life jacket.
- Protect yourself from the sun by applying a waterproof sunblock – reapply as needed.
Safety While Grilling
- Keep the grill away from the house, tree branches, grass, or anything that could catch fire.
- Always follow the manufacturer’s instructions.
- Keep children and pets away from the grill.
- Never add charcoal starter fluid when coals have already been ignited.
Safety While Camping
- Pack plenty of food, water, clothing and blankets.
- Keep a safe distance from wild animals.
- Practice good campfire safety and never leave a fire unattended.
- Inform others where you will be camping and when you plan to return.