The King of Rock and Roll’s hometown is bringing back its five-day festival for the 24th year in a row, featuring numerous tribute events across Tupelo in memory of the legend.
Elvis Presley was born in his childhood home in Tupelo on January 8, 1935, later discovering his love for music at the Assembly of God Pentecostal Church.
His family would soon move to Memphis in 1948 due to financial problems where Presley would eventually begin his career as a singer and acoustic guitarist.
Until his death in 1977, Presley was known across the nation for his performance style and unique voice, topping the charts with 18 number one hits and 40 top ten hits.
Now, fans of the icon are invited to join in on the multitude of festivities in Presley’s birthplace from Wednesday to Sunday.
“His story starts right here in Tupelo. We tell people all the time, you don’t start reading a book halfway through the book, you start at the beginning,” Neal McCoy of the Tupelo Convention and Visitors Bureau explained. “This is Elvis’ beginning, this is what formed him. The gospel influence happened right here in Tupelo and we want to tell that story.”
Here’s the full schedule for the festival:
Wednesday, June 8
- 7:00 pm: Showcase Gala and After Party at the Tupelo Cotton Mill
Thursday, June 9
- 9:00 am – 3:00 pm: “Becoming Experience” Youth Day and Competition at Elvis Presley Birthplace
- 2:00 pm: Elvis Coast to Coast Concert at Bancorpsouth Arena
- 7:00 pm: Elvis On-Screen Concert at Bancorpsouth Arena
Friday, June 10
- 10:00 am: Ultimate Elvis Tribute Artist Competition at Bancorpsouth Arena
- 11:00 am – 2:00 pm: Food Truck Friday at Fairpark
- 2:00 pm: Conversations with Tom Brown at Milam Elementary School
5:30 pm: TCB Fights “Decked Out” Weigh-In at Bancorpsouth Arena Conference Center
- 7:00 pm: Elvis Through the Decades Concert at Bancorpsouth Arena
Saturday, June 11
- 7:30 am: Running with the King 5K at Veteran’s Park
- 10:00 am: Ultimate Elvis Tribute Artist Competition Semi-Finals at Bancorpsouth Arena
- 1:00 – 3:00 pm: Elvis Tribute Artist Meet and Greets in Downtown Tupelo
1:00 – 4:00 pm: Tupelo Elvis Fan Club Activities at Tupelo Hardware and in Downtown Tupelo
1:00 – 4:00 pm: Argo and Big Jim at Tupelo Hardware Company
- 7:00 pm: TCB Fights “Decked Out” Boxing Events at Bancorpsouth Arena Conference Center
- 7:00 pm: Ultimate Elvis Tribute Artist Competition Finals and Elvis on Fire Concert at Bancorpsouth Arena
Sunday, June 12
- 1:00 pm: Sunday Gospel Concert at Bancorpsouth Arena