It’s been a little over a week since the state stepped in to help with Jackson’s water crisis that had been decades in the making.
In the time since Governor Tate Reeves issued a state of emergency last Monday, a few things have happened: repairs have been made at the O.B. Curtis Water Treatment Plant, water pressure has been restored across most of the city, and the White House has promised to help. All pluses.
“We’re probably in day eight of the takeover by the state board of health of our drinking water, and they’ve gotten done in seven days a lot more than has been done in seven years,” Senator John Horhn, D-Jackson, said Wednesday.
As the current boil water notice in Mississippi’s capital city has now exceeded 40 days, the senator told SuperTalk Mississippi that he believes the 180,000 people in and around Jackson affected by the situation will once again have access to clean water in the coming weeks.
“I’m being told that we’re talking maybe two weeks or less before we get safe drinking water back online,” Horhn said.
While a short-term solution may be near, as of Thursday morning, a long-term plan had not been released by the city or state.
Stay up to date with all of Mississippi’s latest news by signing up for our free newsletter here.
Copyright 2023 SuperTalk Mississippi Media. All rights reserved.