Jackson State President Dr. William B. Bynum has resigned after he was arrested along with 16 others in a Clinton prostitution sting over the weekend.
According to the Clinton Police Department, Bynum was arrested as a result of a two-day operation and he is charged with procuring services of a prostitute, false statement of identity, and simple possession of marijuana.
Authorities say that the sting operation was executed by making contact with the suspects online through “dark web” sites. Services and a location at a local hotel were agreed upon.
During an emergency meeting, the IHL named JSU Chief Diversity Officer Thomas Hudson as Acting President.
“We are extremely pleased that Thomas Hudson has agreed to serve as Acting President,” said Hal Parker, President of the Board of Trustees of State Institutions of Higher Learning. “As both an alumnus and a current staff member, he has a deep love for and understanding of the campus and all it means to the students, faculty, staff, alumni and the state.”
The full list of suspects in the Clinton prostitution sting can be seen below:
- Holly Ann Wheaton, age 35, of Springfield, Tennessee: Prostitution
- Steve Hampton, age 57, of Jackson, Mississippi: Promoting Prostitution, Possession of Crack Cocaine, and Possession of Drug Paraphernalia
- Anthony Bowman, age 48, of Vicksburg, Mississippi: Procuring Services of a Prostitute
- William Bynum Jr., age 57, of Jackson, Mississippi: Procuring Services of a Prostitute, False Statement of Identity, and Simple Possession of Marijuana.
- Fredrick Robinson, age 41, of Jackson, Mississippi: Promoting Prostitution
- Sierra Case, age 23, of Jackson, Mississippi: Prostitution
- Sheena Stanford, age 35, of Jackson, Mississippi: Promoting Prostitution
- Taylor Ducre, age 30, of Angie, Louisiana: Prostitution and Possession of Cocaine
- Eric Jackson, age 34, of Jackson, Mississippi: Promoting Prostitution
- Naketa Williams, age 37, of Jackson, Mississippi: Prostitution
- Shonda McCarthy, age 46, of Jackson, Mississippi: Procuring Services of a Prostitute and Possession of Marijuana while Operating a Motor Vehicle.
- Rosella Brown, age 25, of Canton, Mississippi: Prostitution
- Alexis Miller, age 23, of Memphis, Tennessee: Conspiracy to Promote Prostitution
- Temeela Palmer, age 31, of Memphis, Tennessee: Prostitution and Conspiracy to Promote Prostitution
- Joseph Jones, age 30, of Memphis, Tennessee: Conspiracy to Promote Prostitution
- Jesus Porrata, age 31, of Memphis, Tennessee: Promoting Prostitution
The Clinton Police Department did not identify any patterns or activity to suggest that prostitution or human trafficking is prevalent in Clinton.