Commercial and charter fishermen who suffered significant losses due to the pandemic can apply for financial assistance through the Coronavirus Aid, Relief and Economic Security (CARES) Act.
To be eligible for the program, you must meet the following criteria:
- Resident of Mississippi
- At least 18 years of age
- Participated in the Mississippi saltwater fishing industry in one of the following sectors for at least one year:
- Commercial fisherman
- Charter For Hire captain
- Possess the appropriate MDMR resident license for the 2019 – 2020 fishing year (May 1, 2019 – April 30, 2020, for commercial fishermen and January 1, 2020 – June 30, 2020, for charter captains)
- Experienced greater than 35% loss in revenue for 2020
- Participant must not be debarred, not on the government “do not pay list”, and in good standing with the Federal and State Government.
- Participant cannot have previously been made whole by other CARES Act funds.
Applications close Tuesday, Dec. 8, 2020, at 11:59 p.m., and no late applications will be considered. The funding allocation has been structured so that all applications submitted before the deadline will be considered.