With Hurricane Sally expected to bring heavy rainfall and significant storm surges to the Gulf Coast, shelters are beginning to open their doors.
While the Mississippi Emergency Management Agency is reminding you to use shelters as a last resort in the COVID-19 era, here is a list of the facilities that are currently open.
- Agricola Safe Room: 3161 Cooks Corner Rd, Lucedale, MS 39452
- Bendale Safe Room: 5207 Highway 26 W, Lucedale, MS 39452
- Kiln Safe Room: 18324 Hwy 43 Kiln, MS 39556
- Saucier-Lizana Road Safe Room: 23771 Saucier Lizana Rd. Saucier, MS 39574
- County Farm Road Safe Room: 15038 Country Farm Rd. Gulfport, MS 39503
- Lobouy Road Safe Room: 9509 Lobouy Rd. Pass Christian, MS 39571
- East Jackson County Safe Room: 18413 Highway 613 Moss Point, MS 3956
- West Jackson County Safe Room: 13000 Walker Rd. Ocean Springs, MS 39564
PEARL RIVER COUNTY:
- Poplarville Safe Room: 124 Rodeo St. Poplarville, MS 39470
- State Medical Needs Shelter: 1640 Coy Avenue Wiggins, MS 39577
State Medical Needs Shelter admission is evaluated based on the following criteria:
- Those with health or medical conditions who require professional observation or care,
- Those with chronic conditions who require assistance with daily living activities or skilled nursing care, but do not require hospitalization,
- Those who need supervised medication dispensing or vital signs readings,
- Those with physical, mental, or cognitive disabilities who cannot be sheltered in a general population shelter, or
- Those with other disabilities who cannot be sheltered in a general population shelter.
If you enter a shelter, you will be required to wear a mask.